Author: Monique of ambitiouskitchen.com
Recipe type: Brownies, Bars, Healthy, Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey (agave or maple syrup if vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top (I use the Enjoy Life brand to make them vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8×8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl of electric mixer or food processor, cream together peanut butter, honey, vanilla and applesauce until smooth. Add cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; mix again until smooth. Gently fold 1/4 cup of chocolate chips into batter. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth top. I usually spray my spatula with cooking spray to help spread it out evenly. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until top is just set. It’s okay if they look a little underdone; we want these to be fudgy! Plus they are vegan so you don’t need to worry about them cooking all the way through. Cool on wire rack as long as you can. Cut into 12 delicious squares!
These are awesome cold or frozen, too!
If you want to make these a little more decadent, drizzle warm peanut butter over the top and sprinkle with sea salt.
Serving size: 1 brownie Calories: 139 Fat: 8.3g Carbohydrates: 15.4g Sugar: 10.5g Fiber: 2.5gProtein: 3.5g